Skip to main content

Being Welcome (For Oct. 12 in-class)

Below are some common classroom experiences that make me feel more or less welcome:

Positive experiences

  • opportunities to self-determine my learning
  • space to give and to revoke consent
  • individual attention
  • recognition of difference between students (race, sexuality, gender, interest, etc.)
  • teacher openness regarding and willingness to correct mistakes
  • acceptance and praise of student mistakes as part of the learning process
  • deliberate and explicit class and subject expectations
  • space for and acceptance of the need for physicality and movement
  • space and flexibility for questions and "off-topic" moments
  • organization and routine
  • respect for personal boundaries
  • teacher investment in my learning
  • positive interdependence and personal investment in my learning


Negative experiences

  • presumptive and gendered language (the scientist = he; the nurse = she)
  • cis-hetero-normative assumptions (binary pronouns used without checking, assuming that someone who "looks like" a woman must be married to a man)
  • feeling dismissed or having questions shut down
  • feeling trapped or bound by the material or the expectations
  • not knowing what to expect
  • not being seen as an individual

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green Spaces at School

It often occurs me just how weird it is that western culture makes such a deliberate, harsh division between what is Natural and what is Human. Of course, we have a bunch of dead white guys to thank for this (Descartes, Hobbes and Aquinas to name a few). [Hu]man's supremacy over the natural world went more or less uncontested by the western hegemony for a significant amount of time. Placing the natural (the garden) into an intellectual space is therefore a revolutionary counter-cultural practice. Beyond all of the physiological benefits we know green spaces provide, gardens in schools represent a paradigm shift in the way we think about our world. I personally believe that this is a critical movement towards environmental responsibility that we must continue. One of the things that struck me about the reading was the number of times students listed "slowing down" as a benefit to the gardening space. The students we will teach have all grown up in a world where time is

Teaching is a Lifestyle

The idea of wholeheartedness in this article really speaks to me. Living in a society so caught up in effectiveness and time-management, it can be difficult to see the value of taking extra time to meet the needs of our students at the margins . Societal values of getting the most reward from the least effort run seem contrary to these extra steps. This balancing act of limited time, resources and energy is ubiquitous and eternal. We will never be able to reach every student or accomplish every goal. But, in my experience, the practice of reflection makes me better prepared not only to make these tough choices but also to intuit and predict the possible outcomes . The more I make  observations, think critically about myself and my practice, and implement changes, the better I become at observing, thinking critically and implementing change. On a more fundamental level, being wholehearted resonates with my personal values and my identity. I am the kind of person who becomes easil